Sunday, May 23, 2010

Table Etiquette for Babies

Three blog posts in a row - can you believe it?

This week I found a copy of "Etiquette" by Emily Post from 1937. It is a great book - lots of advice on how to hire domestic help and how to extend invitations to the country house or yacht. I like this book even better than Miss Manners' "Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior." So, next time I invite you to have cocktails on the yacht, I'll know exactly how to do it. ;)

In the table manners section, one of the headings is "A Baby's First Lesson in Table Manners." And I quote, "The first lesson to teach a baby - even before he can feed himself- is that food is to be put into the mouth neatly, and that when food is in his mouth his lips must be kept closed."

So much for that etiquette lesson - we've got a long way to go!



Concentrating on keeping the piece of banana in his mouth - they are slippery little suckers.


Can you believe it? I have banana and pancake in my mouth at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment